Tactical Pants Defined
Let’s explore for a bit what I mean when I say “tactical pants.” Wikipedia says something like the following:
- Related to cargo pants
- Contain technical modifications
- Designed for Police, EMTs, Firefighters and other service professionals
The relation to cargo pants means that tactical pants have pockets on the legs. These pockets are functional and provide extra carrying capacity. Technical modifications refer to features such as fabric type and construction. Additionally, features like heavy-duty zippers, buttons or Velcro closures add special functionality that ordinary pants don’t provide. These pants are usually designed for professionals that need, strong, durable, technical pants to help them function in their daily responsibilities.
What Makes a Good Pair of Pants for Overlanding
There are so many reasons why tactical pants are good for overlanding. I’m going to review a few examples below:
- The fabrics used in construction are either synthetic, a heavy-duty canvas or a blend of both synthetic and cotton
- The fabric will usually feature rip stop construction
- The pants typically have reinforced construction at wear points (reinforced knees)
- Special features like stain and water resistance
- Designed with both form and function in mind
Think about your typical overlanding trip and all the situations that you’ll face. Whether you’ll need to change a flat tire or help a buddy recover their rig from the mud, wearing a strong, durable, and functional set of tactical pants will help immensely. Extra pockets can hold small tools. Better fabrics and construction means that they will stand up to the abuse on the trail. Stain and water resistance will help them clean up after the long trip!
The TRU-SPEC 24-7 Series Pants are the best pants that I have ever used.
The Best Features
I’m going to highlight the features that I like the most in the TRU-SPEC 24-7 pants.
Here’s a list of the great fabric features:
- 6.5 oz. 65/35 Polyester/Cotton Rip-Stop (Rip-Stop is a special feature that helps mitigate tears)
- 8.5 oz. 100% Cotton Canvas
- 11 Color Options (including multi-cam!)
Check out the close up on the Rip-Stop weave below
Here are some of the other engineered features that I think are great:
- TRU-SPEC uses a special PRYM snap closure
- Beefy, quality, YKK zippers in brass
- Expanding waistband for those who like to conceal carry
- 2″ wide belt loops
- Reinforced knees with built-in knee pad pockets
Here’s a close up on the PRYM snap closure (with button backup)
Here’s the other half
Look at the expanding waistband, no one will ever know!
Now for some of the best features, all those pockets!
- Seriously extra deep front pockets
- Accessory pockets that are great for EDC lights and other smaller tools
- Cargo pockets with Velcro closures and stitched ends that keep the flaps from curling (brilliant!)
- Divider pockets inside the cargo pockets
- Smaller pockets on outside of the cargo pockets
I love the accessory pockets
Here is a close up picture of the cargo pocket
My Final Thoughts on the Best Tactical Pants
In summary, there are so many features packed into the TRU-SPEC 24-7 pants that I believe they are perfect for overlanding. These tough, rugged tactical pants are designed to withstand the toughest situations. Overlanding can also present the amateur and experienced trail driver with demanding situations. Having top grade equipment on your body is as important as having top grade equipment on your rig. Don’t settle for anything less.